The Russian invaders set up a torture chamber at a police station in Ukrainian town of Kakhovka

Occupation troops detain on the city streets pro-Ukraine activists as well as both veterans of the Anti-Terrorist Operation and men who have nothing to do with military service at all.

In the town of Kakhovka, Kherson Region, the occupiers set up a torture chamber in a police station, where they beat and torture hostages with electric shocks.

The Commissioner for Human Rights of the Verkhovna Rada (Parliament) of Ukraine Lyudmyla Denisova announced it.

“Russian soldiers are detaining on the streets of the city not only activists or the vets of the anti-terrorist operation, but also men who have nothing to do with military service and did not go to rallies against the occupation,” the statement said.

“Violation of law and order” or “violation of curfew” are cited as a formal pretext for detention.

“There is a constant queue of relatives of the detained men near the police station, who are trying to find out about the fates of detainees or hand over food and basic necessities,” the statement said.

Witnesses say there are more than 10 civilians in the Kakhovka police station, some of whom have been detained for several weeks. Men are tortured with electric shocks and beaten.

The Russian military is the cruelest to those who are related to the security forces – territorial defense fighters and former servicemen of the Anti-Terrorist Operation.

“Such actions of Russia are a war crime and a crime against humanity in accordance with Articles 7 and 8 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court and a direct violation of Articles 3 and 34 of the Geneva Convention relating to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, Articles 9 and 21 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights, ” Denisova said.

She called on the UN Commission of Inquiry into Human Rights Violations during Russia’s military invasion of Ukraine, appealing to take into account these facts of war crimes and human rights violations.

In the beginning of April, the mayor of temporarily occupied Kakhovka Vitaly Nemerets declared that he had left the town because of danger for him and his family. He refused to cooperate with the occupiers.

READ MORE: “I asked God to die quickly.” A 17-year-old girl from Mariupol speaks of hunger, fear, and filtration camp

Related Posts